Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't beat yourself up for whatever is making you feel upset right now. What would you tell your best friend or loved one if it was them in your position? Would you still talk as harshly and accuse as blindly? You wouldn't, would you?
Now take that stuffed animal and put it on the chair in front of you. Look at it. Convert your situation and move it onto the stuffed animal, transforming yourself into a person from the outside. This is the stuffed animal's situation now. Let's say it stands for your best friend, your sister, your mother, your partner. What would you tell them if they told you about this situation they're in?
You'd probably tell them:
- You've done the best you can.
- You worked so hard on this, don't be so harsh on yourself.
- Oh give yourself a break! You deserve it.
- Well, have you tried ... (any advice)?
- It sucks but what can you do? Stay strong, suck it up, take responsibility and try better next time.
- Stop comparing yourself to others and making you feel bad about yourself! Are they in your position?
- So what if they were able to study much more than you could? Do they work two part-time jobs like you? Are they mentally drained and depressed like you? Are they short of time like you? No? There you go.
- This is an awful situation but it will get better. Hang in there.
- It's fine to screw up. You're not the only one who ever screwed it up.
- So you screwed up. At least now you've learned a lesson and can remember next time.
Now this is what you want to tell yourself in those situations. Realize that you're just being a bitch to yourself because you're upset. But do you deserve such harsh treatment by your very own person? Probably not. Stay kind to yourself like you would stay kind to your loved ones.
Don't be so hard on yourself,