As I've been struggling with an ongoing cold for almost two weeks and was restricted so much in my daily life that the workaholic in me got really annoyed, I came up with some remedies to beat the cold in this cold weather! (Update: I still can't hear out of my ear, fun!)
– Stay hydrated. Drink a lot! Water or tea, doesn't matter. Best is some ginger, honey and lemon in your tea. Keep a bottle next to you at all times and drink so your throat doesn't get worse with that cough. Warm liquids might also ease congestion by increasing mucus flow! Alcohol, coffee and sodas that are caffeinated are known to make dehydration even worse, though!
– Rest. Don't be as stupid as me and overwork yourself when having a cold when you should be taking time to heal. Your body needs that. Leave those tasks for later or tomorrow and stay in bed.
– Shower hot. I found that this helped me a lot because when I was young, my mum used to put ginger and all kinds of fruits in hot water and I had to hold my head over the bowl with a towel over my head for quite some time. The heat helps me because it moisturises your nasal passages and it'll definitely relax you. I did not even cough once while taking those steamy showers.
– Blow your nose often! Get it all out instead of sniffing mucus back. Throw away those tissues and wash your hands. To prevent earache when blowing hard, press a finger over one nostril while you blow gently to clear the other.
– Add moisture to the air. Open the windows and don't keep the heater on constantly without having ventilated a few times.
– Sleep with a bigger or an extra pillow under your head to help with the drainage of the nasal passages.
– Sore throat? Gargle salted water (1/4 to 1/2 spoon of salt dissolved in warm water) to soothe a sore and scratchy throat immediately, at least temporary.
– Use a saline nasal spray to help break down the annoying mucus.
– Put mentholated salve under your nose that help you breathe more comfortable if you apply it a bit underneath your nostrils. My mum always gives me some Asian green watery salve and up until now I don't even know what it is called but maybe Vietnamese fellows can help me out? Haha.
What do you do when you have a cold? Hope this helped some of you. Get better soon, sniffy noses! A post on how to prevent getting colds will be up soon as well, be sure to come back soon.
Until then – stay warm,